Class 2 LGV/HGV Driver / Removal Operative Required
Recruitment: We are currently seeking full or part time experienced removals drivers with minimum class 2 LGV licence (Category C or CE) for immediate start to carry out local and nationwide domestic removals & occasional European removals.
Removals HGV/LGV Driver (Class 2)
F Smith & Son (Croydon) Ltd
Dependent upon experience (Driving and within the removals industry)
28 days leave (including Bank Holidays)
45 hours per week plus overtime + Bonus’
*Work specifically scheduled to commence during an evening e.g. office removals
- Bonuses - Potential for daily foreman bonus and annual performance related bonus'
- Holiday - 28 days p.a. (inc. 8 public & bank holidays)
- Evening* and Saturday working at 1.5 x basic hourly rate
- Sunday and bank holiday working at 2 x basic hourly rate
- Several company financed social events throughout the year
Experience of working within the removals industry is desirable but not essential.
A Driver / Porter is expected to be able to undertake the following roles –
- To be responsible for carrying out vehicle checks, before the vehicle leaves the yard, and for using a tachograph chart correctly where necessary.
- To drive the company’s vehicles safely and legally, keeping all tools and equipment in a safe and tidy state at all times.
- To pack and unpack customers goods where required.
- To be able to navigate to relevant addresses.
- To be able to safely and efficiently carry furniture, including up and down stairs, as required.
- To be able to safely load and unload the vehicle, using your initiative to protect and secure goods where required.
Join our team !
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deal with customers in a friendly and efficient way at all times.
- Understand, convey to others and act on information effectively.
- Give clear directions to others and pass on messages promptly, especially when carrying furniture with other members of the team.
- Contribute to the effective working of the Team.
- Always maintain a high standard of appearance, behaviour and positive attitude.
- To be aware of the way in which actions, behaviour and capacity to work affects other team members and to act appropriately.
Initiative & Problem solving
- Deliver practical, helpful, friendly advice and information to others, including colleagues and customers.
- To carry out, and be responsible for the initial risk assessment for operatives to carry out the removal / job task.
- To be the allocated working Driver of Company and/or hire vehicles as directed by the Management Team, to include Class 2 vehicles (and Class 1 if license permits).
- To drive vehicles for delivery and/or collection to the workshop as required.
- To source parts and components for the roadworthiness of vehicles as required.
- To enter customer and booking quotations onto the IT system.
To deliver good services effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed, and the post holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above.
Willingness to work flexible hours (due to the nature of the work being carried out) and travel across the UK with some periods of time spent away from home. Occasional continental work dependent on business requirements. Normal working hours start between 07:00 – 09:00 and finish between 16:00 – 18:00. Paid 30 minute lunch break. Overtime paid for hours worked over 9 hours in any 1 day.
Annual holiday restrictions apply. A maximum of 1 working week holiday can be taken during peak season (July and August). Enforced winter shutdown of 1 working week prescribed by the company around Christmas and new year.
Education / Training:
- To deal with emergencies and occasional last minute requests with flexibility and a positive attitude.
- Resolving problems when an immediate solution is not apparent.
- Good Literacy and numeracy skills
- HGV/LGV Class 2 license essential (Category C Minimum entitlement)
- Current Driver Qualification Card (Driver CPC)
Good awareness/Compliance with drivers’ hours regulations and working time directive
- Understanding and ability to operate analogue/digital tachograph units to record daily activities
F Smith & Son are very proud to be a home grown family business offering a wide range of skills to the services industry, covering South London, Surrey and Kent areas. The company has been established for over 80 years, giving us extensive knowledge and experience, in all aspects of furniture handling and removals. The successful applicant will work closely with and report directly to company directors.
How to Apply:
Please initially telephone 020 8688 7063 to arrange a convenient meeting time at our Croydon depot with John or David Smith. Send your C.V. via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please note that you will be required to bring with you both parts of your driving license and your driver qualification card.